Sunday, June 1, 2014

Concept and Design...

Redwing 18
The Redwing series of camp cruisers are the brainchild of Naval Architect Ken Stambaugh of Chesapeake Marine Design in Severna Park, Maryland. Based on a traditional Chapelle design, the popular Redwing 18 is a traditional displacement hull, micro-cruiser built of plywood in either traditional screw and glue or stitch and glue construction. 


Initially I moved toward this design as my basic requirements centered around a trailerable cruiser that would allow us to stay out on the water overnight.  Well as I mentioned we live within a six or so hour drive of the coast but not nearly close enough to run down for an overnighter. So it became apparent that we would need something larger that would let us stay out longer and make the trip worth our while.  Already liking the Redwing boats I began to peruse Ken's variants of the RW 18 and found a pilot house version that looked to be perfect.  It came in a 21' and 23' and provided the weather protection of the pilothouse and much roomier accommodations for a couple over a long week of exploring or a small group for a comfortable picnic. I settled on the 23' version of the Pilothouse and ordered plans last February. 


Original 23' by Ken Stambaugh
 
With plans in hand I used AutoCAD to loft the table of offsets.  The RW23 didn't come with many detailed plans but there was enough information contained within the RW21views to cad the various plans, elevations and section views and by April I had worked out the design and layout to the point where I knew I was ready to begin.  I had also decided on a Screw and glue method of construction because it seemed more traditional, flexible and would allow me to start on construction before purchasing plywood. Here is or was the initial version of the RW23 as I had drawn it...

Initial Version - Mine
Not so fast... During this period I would naturally come upon design questions that would prompt me to go out to the various boards and forums looking for answers.  I couldn't leave well enough alone and have only settled on a design in the past two weeks that is quite a metamorphosis from Ken's original design.
I'll explain...
I am not ashamed of a wooden boat being made from wood and love the old Elco Yachts from the 20's with their extensive brightwork and long canopies.  I couldn't take advantage of the distinctive break in the sheer as most of these do but could borrow heavily from the design details to create a Redwing variant.  I also noted through my frequent perusal of the various cruising and building sites that if I didn't whole heartily embrace the boxy look of a traditional gentleman's crusier I would have a hard time hiding the increased cabin height.  I also wanted to protect the cockpit with a full length roof/canopy from the hot summer sun.  So, I took to a redesign of the original and below is the result. Hull and basic dimensions aren't different but I have taken liberties.
Final Design - Redwing Classic Cruiser


Now that the design has reached its final iteration, I'll explain some of its finer points...
  • Mahogany brightwork frame and panel pilothouse and cabin over Marine AC Fir plywood.  My intention is to build them in panels and epoxy bond them to the plywood. A faux frame and panel so as not to invite water into the horizontal grooves. 
  • Interior white painted bead board ceiling and walls with mahogany cabinetry and trim.  
  • Full length canopy extends over cockpit for sun and rain protection.
  • Mahogany grab rails and hatches.
  • Enclosed motor well as in all of Ken's Redwing designs.
  • Pilot House bayed front windshield that extends over cabin top.
  • Drop down curtains to afford privacy for deck showers and bathroom breaks in cockpit.
  • Covered in Dynel or similar. All surfaces epoxy encapsulated.
Below...
  • V-Berth with 36" of headroom and louvered door.
  • A sink in the cockpit which is teak floored.
  • 9000BTU Marine Aire Heat Pump unit.
  • Dinette on Port side.
  • 3cuft Ice Box with 4" of poured insulation.
  • 62 gallons of fresh water storage.
  • 6 gallon electric water heater.
Lastly, the plans are still being fine tuned and you'll probably see some inconsistencies from view to view. I am working to finalize them before too long and will post those images later in the post so that there is a record of all the steps taken in the building of this vessel.
Thanks,
Mike


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment